This page should help you to make sense of the IWCAN Portal, so that you can best navigate and make full use of the site. You can also watch the following video to become oriented with the IWCAN Portal:
Part 1: Signing up
If you are a current student or recent alumni, you have the option to access membership benefits for free (but you are not eligible to vote as a member or apply for a position on the board unless you actually join as a paid member. You still need to create a profile, and after you have done so, you can fill out the intake form to gain access to the IWCAN platform. The process of getting your intake form processed and setting you up in the system takes approximately 24-48 hours.
Membership benefits are detailed on our Membership page.
Members have the option to pay for membership fees through PayPal or by bank transfer. We have High Income Country (HIC) and Low Income Country (LIC) designations, and those who are unemployed may also pay at the LIC level, as we know how every dollar counts when there’s limited funds coming in! Keep in mind that although PayPal payment is automatic, bank transfers take a few days, and full access to the portal may take a couple of extra days.
When you become a member, you should receive a welcome e-mail from the Membership Officer. If you do not receive it, please let us know.
Part 2: Logging In
Logging in is simple. You can log in on any page except the main page on the right-hand side of the screen, or you can go to the log in page (accessed as a subheading of the Membership menu item).
Part 3: Accessing Groups and Forums
The IWCAN portal provides Forums and Groups for interactive communication and for the sharing of knowledge, documents, and images.
The Forums are more structured, and allow for in-depth commenting and analysis (and sharing of documents up to 512 MB) on specific topics related to Integrated Water Management. Subheadings under the IWM Conversations menu item in the main menu provides you with a list of Forum categories. Each category has a number of topics, just click on the category subheading.
Note that you will not be able to access the Forums unless you are logged in. You will be re-directed to the login page, or told that you do not have permission to view the page.
You can find two things on the right-hand side of the screen (on any page except the home page) that you may fine useful for quick reference: a list of activity taking place in the forums (under the Recent Topics heading) and a list of Forum categories. It’s handy to have a look at the Recent Topics activity to see if any discussions are progressing in topics that are of interest to you.
Groups are more informal spaces for communication and collaboration. You can find a list of groups in the column at the bottom of the page (you can also see a list of the current / active members in a column next to the group column). Groups provide the opportunity to share images, videos, links, and documents. You can also enter into the Group Chat room, which is one of the options under the Group subheadings. This is a great space for members of the cohort to meet up.
Let’s have a look at the Jobs and Professional Opportunities Group as an example.
Note that you will not be able to access the Groups or Members unless you are logged in. You will be re-directed to the login page, or told that you do not have permission to view the page.
Part 4: Understanding where to find things / making use of links and shortcuts
The main menu runs along the top of the page, and provides direct links to useful places: HOME, ABOUT IWCAN, MEMBERSHIP, and IWM CONVERSATIONS. There are subheadings associated with each of the main menus that change depending on whether or not you are logged in (particularly under the MEMBERSHIP menu item).
At the bottom of each page (you will need to scroll down) in the dark grey section at the bottom, you can see a list of members and groups. This is a great place to look and see what groups are most active and which members have been logged into the portal recently.
With the exception of the home page, each web page in the portal is structured in a way that has an number of links and shortcuts for navigating the site along the right-hand side of the page:
- At the top is your profile (if logged in) or a place to login (if you are logged out). You can click on your profile name or image in order to check notifications, messages, change your avatar, or upload media associated with your profile (images, videos, , for example), amongst other things.
- Underneath the login / profile area, you have a notifications area, and if you have new notifications (messages sent to you, friend requests, etc.) these will be listed here. If there are no new notifications, you will not see this area.
- The next area is “Recent Topics“, providing the 5 most recent topics that have posts within the forums area. This allows you to see, at a glance, what new discussions have been taking place in the forums section of the portal. Note that new group activity is not listed here, and you can see most recently active groups listed at the bottom of the page.
- Then you have a search function if you’d like to run a quick search of the portal for anything in particular.
- After that you have the list of forums.
- Finally you have information on joining IWCAN. This may be helpful for people who are trying to access a page but are not finding that they have sufficient privileges, for example.
Part 5: How to provide feedback or get help
There are two main mechanisms for feedback and help.
1) First is the Feedback Forum, where you can provide general feedback to IWCAN, feedback about the portal / website, or feedback about the strategic direction of IWCAN. The feedback forum provides a transparent space for discussion about the organization: it’s processes, strategies, and approaches.
2) The other way to provide feedback or get help is by filling out our contact form. You can expect a response within 24-48 hours.
Part 6: Managing your membership
You can access and manage your membership account at the following website: http://iwcan.org/membership-account/. You must be logged in to access your membership details. You can also find this link at the bottom of the MEMBERSHIP menu item at the top of the page.
Part 7: Other site functions
The IWCAN knowledge portal is continuously evolving and developing to best serve its membership base – adaptive management in action! Although the main functionality has been outlined on this page, there are a few other features that you may encounter as you use and navigate the website, particularly as you explore the depths of the forums and groups.
If you have suggestions for improvement, please e-mail us, complete the contact form, or engage in a discussion about your ideas in our feedback forum. As new site functions become available, we will list them in the feedback forum and provide updates to this page.
Last updated: 3 March 2014